Project Objective:
To design an effective throwing machine that will help a disabled student that has limited abilities to participate in physical recreation.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Final Prototype

After we had our first prototype done, we tested it to see if it worked as we wanted it to. After a few testings, we made changes to the metal rod. We reduced it from 24in to 20in so it can give us a better angle for the ball to be thrown. The PVC pipe was also reduced from 15in to 13in so we would have more play for compression. Then added a string that was tied the bottom board to the top board and helped the top board remain in place after the ball was released and not brake apart. Finally, we added a basket, which was held by screws, to hold the ball in place before it is launched.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Machine Shop

John help us brainstorm of other ways we can use are material that we use for are first prototype towards the second prototype. We stick to the idea of using spring since it was something other students were not using. We build the prototype from springs, wood, pvc pipe, metal and kitchen supply. As we put all of our parts back together we started with the wood and what would be easy to use and what was consider trash.

After we made the holes to screw the metal plates to the wood, we went back to planning how we were going to use the spring to throw the ball with out bending the springs. The springs needed to be hold down so it could throw the ball.


Sunday, September 26, 2010

First Prototype Video:

First Prototype Video #2:

First Prototype Progress Report:

After realizing there wasn't any wood that would be useful to us on campus and free, we went to Home Depot and purchased a few pieces of wood, a board 2ftx3, and some skinnier pieces of wood about 24 inches long. We also went to BIG5 sporting goods store and bought a big red bouncy ball to use as we thought she would enjoy the vibrant color. We then went back to our workplace and began to get exact measurments we would need of the wood and began to saw wood. The process of sawing wood didn't go as planned and some of our pieces had broken in half. We managed to put together our first prototype after this, while cutting several pieces of wood, drilling them together, and then using a 'net' to hold the ball. The next day we went in to see John, machine shop faculty member, on campus and from there we did some critical brainstorming for a better prototype as he listened to our ideas and conveyed his.

First Prototype: